Friday, January 25, 2013

You Should Listen to Your Body

For the past month I've had a nasty cough.  A cough so bad that it caused people to stop and give me angry looks on the metro.  Sorry folks, but I think that there are worse germs on the metro than my cough.

Initially I thought I had a cold.  In my mind this seemed plausible because it is winter after all.  That and both my kid and  husband had colds the week before my cough started. When the cough lingered, I just thought I got another cold.  This is called D-E-N-I-A-L.

Inauguration weekend I woke feeling like road kill.  I had the chills, fever, sore throat, and my head felt like it was in a vice. Because of the high rates of the flu this season, I finally bit the bullet and made an appointment with my doctor.  

Surprise, not the flu!  Instead I have been suffering from a severe sinus infection.  Apparently my body decided that since I was not listening that it would escalate things to fever level. Four days and three prescriptions later, I am starting to feel human again.  The ability to breath through my nose is also returning.  It's amazing that I didn't poison my family from my cooking because of my inability to smell anything.   It's also amazing that nothing terrible, besides discomfort, occurred from this infection that I decided to ignore.

Moral of the story: Listen to your body, it may have something important to say.



No comments:

Post a Comment