Then I had a kid.
Holy carp Batman. That saying that when you have kids and everything changes is the biggest understatement. E.V.E.R.
One of the casualties of less time and my inability to manage it well: Dinner. Busy workweek schedules don't help. When I get home from a long day at work, the last thing that I want to do is cook. It sucks, because I love to cook. However, I love to cook complicated recipes that also tend to take planning.
And we're back at square one.
I've tried taking short cuts through simple recipes. Ending in unsatisfying, boring meals. And the inevitable ordering of delivery from local restaurants. This is not only too expensive, but also not very healthy for all involved.
A couple of Sunday's ago, while I was slowly braising pork butt in the oven, I had an epiphany.
![]() |
| Beer Braised Pork Butt |
Why only cook one meal on Sunday?
I could cook several and have enough for home cooked meals throughout the whole week. Not only that but I'd have enough leftovers in the fridge to take to lunch. Why it took me two years to have this revelation I blame squarely on the lack of sleep that comes with kids.
So far this concept has worked out really well. I've started to refine the process to by making sure that:
- One dish be a stew or a soup,
- Meats are rotated,
- Use different cooking methods (i.e. only one dish in the oven)
- Crock pots are a girl's best friend, and
- Buy veggies that can go with the meal that are not overly sensitive to sitting in the fridge
The Hubby has been enjoying this so much he bought me several new cookbooks: The Canal House Cooks Everyday, One Pot of the Day, and Coming home to Sicily.
So far I've made the following meals:
So far I've made the following meals:
- Beer Braised Pork Butt
- Chicken and Dumplings
- Beef Lasagna
- Carrot Soup
- Minestrone Soup
- Chicken and Rice
- Chicken Roasted over Potatoes and Lemons
- Spaghetti w/Onion, Pancetta and Tomatoes


No comments:
Post a Comment