Wednesday, September 26, 2012

No One is Perfect

The New Yorker has published a lengthy profile on J.K. Rowling, to coincide with the release of her novel "The Casual Vacancy."  Unsurprisingly the article has contributed to world-wide conversations online and offline of the author’s first foray back into books since the Harry Potter series.

I am a huge HP fan, and will definitely be reading her new novel because I'm excited to see how she's moving beyond writing about the boy wizard. In reading posts referencing the New York profile a running theme is that she comes across not so much as un-friendly per se but as reserved and well…imperfect.

My reaction to this commentary: O.M.G. you mean J.K. Rowling is human! She comes across in the New York piece as definitely reserved, but then she’s always been reserved with the media and rightfully so.  But more importantly she is presented as a complex human being.  It is for that reason that I find her all the more interesting.  How dull and boring would it be if she was predictably perfect?

Human imperfection is the key to what makes authors, artists and anyone who focuses on creativity as a profession so absolutely interestingly fascinating.  It is her pensiveness, acute observations, and ability relate through words the imperfections of humanity that makes her books so enjoyable for me.  If anything reading the New Yorker profile has moved her to the top of the list of people I'd love to sit down and have a cup of tea with.

No comments:

Post a Comment