Thursday, August 2, 2012

Do Unto Others

Back in May, I was in Atlanta, GA for a conference for work and had planned a visit to the Georgia Aquarium.  But timing worked against me and I was unable to go.  At the time I was excited.

However, after reading this post by the Nonhuman Rights Project about the Georgia Aquarium's most recent acquisition of a 18 WILD beluga whales I have to say that my excitement of visiting in the future has evaporated.

It saddens and disturbs me that an aquarium of such size and stature as the Georgia Aquarium would do this, and I have a sinking suspicion that they are probably not the only ones who have this practice.  It is a practice that completely undermines the whole concept of conservation.   From my understanding, these whales were not in danger, they were not hurt or distressed; rather they were living in a healthy family pod.  There was no reason for them to be removed, except for helping the agenda of the Georgia Aquarium.

This action feeds into my whole love/hate feelings towards zoos and aquariums in general.  Mind you both have come a long way since they were first conceived, I guess that I just hoped that humanity would get its act together and one day we would be able to move beyond them. I understand the need to educate, and it certainly makes an impression on the plight of the panda or shark when one sees them face-to-face.  However, whenever I visit either a zoo or an aquarium I can't help my feeling of sadness...because to me, they are also a constant reminder of all the damage that we've already done to the planet.

 Sorry I didn't mean for this to get so depressing, but the article really struck a cord with me.  There's still a huge fight against whaling, and here's a pod of beluga whales who are happy and healthy and in swoops a bunch of humans and carries off 18 to live in an aquarium instead of the big beautiful ocean.

No comments:

Post a Comment